An Act to provide for the Issue of passports and travel documents, to regulate the departure from India of citizens of India and foe other persons and for matters incidental or ancillary thereto.
Be it enacted by parliament in the Eighteenth Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
- Short title and extent
- This Act may be called the passport Act, 1967.
- It extends to the whole of India and applies also to citizens of India who are outside India.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,
- “ Departure “ , with grammatical variations and cognate expression, means departure from India by Water, Land or Air :
- “Passport” means a passport issued or deemed to have been issued under this Act;
- “ Passport authority” means an officer or authority empowered under rules made under this Act to issue passport or travel document issued passports or travel documents and includes the Central Government;
- “Prescribed” means prescribed by rules made under this Act ;
- “travel document” means a travel document issued under this Act.
- Passport or travel document for departure from India
No person shall depart from, or attempt to depart from, India unless he holds in this behalf a valid passport or travel document.
Explanation:- For the purposes of this section:-
- “passport” includes a passport which having been issued by or under the authority of the Government of a foreign country satisfies the conditions prescribed under the passport (Entry into Indian ) Act, 1920 in respect of the 34 of 1920 class of passports to which it belongs;
- “ travel document” includes a travel document which having been issued by or under the authority of the Government of a foreign country satisfies the conditions prescribed.
- Classes of passports and travel documents
- The following class of passports may be issued under this Act, namely;-
- Ordinary passport
- Official passport
- Diplomatic passport.
- The following classes of travel documents may be issued under this Act,
- Emergency certificate authorizing a person to enter India ,
- Certificate of identity for the purpose of establishing the identity of person,
- Such other certificate or document as may be prescribes
- The Central Government shall, in consonance with the usage and practice followed by it in this behalf, prescribe the classes of persons to whom the classes of passports and travel documents referred to respectively in sub-section (1) and Sub-section (2) may be issued under this Act.
- Applications for passports, travel documents etc., and orders thereon
- An application for the issue of a passport under this Act for visiting such foreign country or countries ( not being a named foreign country) as may be specified in the application may be made to the passport authority and shall be accompanied by (Such fee as may be made to the passport authority and shall be accompanied security paper, printing, lamination and other connected miscellaneous services in issuing p-passports and other travel documents).
Explanation:- In this section, “named foreign country” means such country as the Central Government may, By rules made under this Act, Specify in this behalf.
(1A) An application for the issue of:-
- A passport under this Act, for visiting a named foreign country; or
- a travel document under this Act, for visiting such foreign country or countries (including a named foreign country ) as may be specified in the application or for an endorsement on the passport or travel document referred to in this section,
may be made to the passport authority and shall be accompanied by such fee(if any) not exceeding rupee fifty ,as may be prescribed.
(1B) every application under this section shall be in such from and contains such particulars as may be prescribed.
- on receipt of an application ( under this Section) , the passport authority, after making such inquiry, if any. As it may consider necessary, shall, subject to the other provisions of this Act, , by order in writing ,
- issue the passport or travel documents with endorsement , or as the case may be, make on the passport or travel document the endorsement , in respect of the foreign country or countries specified in the application, in respect of the foreign country or countries specified in the application; or
- issue the passport or travel document with endorsement , or as the case may be, make on the passport or travel document the endorsement, in respect of one or more of the foreign countries specified in the application and refuse to make an endorsement in respect of the other country or countries; or
- Refuse to issue the passport or travel document or, as the case may be , refuse to make on the passport or travel document any endorsement .
- Where the passport authority makes an order under clause (b) or clause (c) of sub-section (2) on the application of any person, it shall record in writing a brief statement of its reasons for making such order and furnish to that person on demand a copy of the same unless in any case the passport authority is of the opinion that it will not be in the interests of the sovereignty and furnish to that person on demand will not be in the interests of the sovereignty and integrity of India , the security of India , Friendly relations of India with any foreign country or in the interests of the general public to furnish such copy.
Be patient and wait for the next update, till then please subscribe to our blog.